Article author: Asatro News / Published: 1st September 2014 / 1st ----- 2264.RE
Ásatrú? Asatro? Asetro?
Asatro and all its variations refer to 'Æsir faith' 'or 'faith in the Æsir',
The Æsir are our primary line of Gods and Goddesses representing ideal archetypes of existence for both men and women of all roles and attributes, our Goddesses and Gods are the ideal forms, representing the excellence our Germanic folk should be inspired to achieve and evolve with.
Ásatrú is a Northern Germanic ethnic spiritual expression or religion, often known to many initially as 'Nordic Paganism' or 'Germanic Paganism', our ancestors did not use such terms, other than Asato or Asetro, for it was their only spirituality and rightly so, as our only natural spirituality.
Ásatrú is an ethnically Northern Germanic indigenous spirituality.
Ásatrú was forged at least 2500 years ago in its current form, the Rune Era (RE or R.E), the identified point after which religious Runes were adopted and used all across Northern Europe in vast quantities is dated roughly to 250.B.C or the year 0 RE.
The current date (within the Rune Era, which is only the latest Era in our history) is calculated as the current date +250 years. Until a precise date for the ancient beginning of Asatro or one of its past eras is known, the Asatro News will use the Rune Era.
Ásatrú can trace its proto-variant roots back as far as 32,000-50,000 years ago, making Ásatrú and related European ancestral religions the oldest religions in Europe, at a -minimum- (-32,000) making ancient Ásatrú 20 times older than Semitic-Islam,15 times older than Semitic Christianity and at least 5 times older than Judaism.
Ásatrú/Asatro/Asetro/Odinism/Wotanism/Forn Sidr are all terms that describe the same spirituality. Vanatru is technically Asatru, although with a central focus on the Vanir, most Vanatru simultaneously are also Asatru, worshipping the Æsir but wish to use the two highly specific terms.
The differing terms are often used simultaneously or interchangeably, with the most common and historicall accurate terms Asatro and Ásatrú finding the most legitimacy and recognition.
Modern Asatro found its revival (overtly) surging from the 1800s onwards, especially and most prominently in England, Germany and Scandinavia, effectively resurging from after the point where it had effectively been suppressed, showing that our natural ancestral spirituality can never be held down nor denied.
Asatro and other, less Northern Germanic variants of European polytheism (Greek Hellenism, etc) are the only indigenous and thus valid forms of religion / spirituality in the entirety of Europe and Asatro is also the oldest indigenous religion in the far north of Vinland, Canada and Grønland.
Asatro is the only religion which is growing amongst Europeans worldwide, all other religions that were imposed upon Europeans are in extreme, irreverisble decline, as was expected as we return to our true natural spiritual outlook.
- 2001 research indicated the number of UK 'Pagans' was around 250,000. A sizeable majority of those consider themselves Ásatrú or 'Odinist'.
- "In the 2001 census, 42,262 people from England, Scotland and Wales declared themselves Pagans - the 7th largest religious affiliation, with the majority of that number being residents of England.
- According to the historian Professor Ronald Hutton who has studied the growth of Paganism in the UK, these numbers are only the tip of the iceberg. His 2001 research indicated the number of UK Pagans was around 250,000."
- The number of English folk identfiying with Asatro or Ásatrú has undoubtably increased in England since the start of this website and will continue to increase at an accelerated pace as more people are reached and awakened in relation to Asatro.
This number has grown since 2000, several headlines have already read that 'Paganism is the fastest growing religious outlook or spirituality in the UK'. This growth is harder to accurately measure and quantify due to the systemic denial from the national census and other survey bodies to specifically include Asatru in survey data.
Proto-variants of Asatro date back (in a recognizeable, symbolic form) at least 32,000 years as indicated by archaeological evidence such as ritual burial evidence, religious monuments, religious items and iconography.
Ásatrú is polythesitic in relation to our pantheon of Gods and Goddesses which both come from the 2 families of the Gods known as the Æsir and Vanir who are amongst a number of divine wights and beings in our folkloric and ancestral records and lore:
- The Æsir represent primarily the high virtues of our folk, such as honour, wisdom, courage, fortitude, nobility, sacrifice, intelligence, etc.
- The Æsir, through the God Heimdallr are the oldest ancestors of Northern Europeans.
- Nordic and Germanic Europeans are the sons and daughters of the Æsir themselves.
- In Asatro our Gods and Goddesses share our blood, the protection and honouring of our blood thus is the protection and honouring of our Gods and Goddesses in return.
- The Vanir represent primarily the high natural virtues inate to life, such as fetility, beauty, intelligence, talent and the laws of nature.
- Nature itself thus is confered a high sacred value through its representation in the Vanir.
- The Vanir and Æsir share many archetypal roles and represent overlaping aspects of existence and of the Nordic & Germanic ideal form.
An Ásatrú outlook: the belief in our Gods and Goddesses
- The Æsir and Vanir are considered to be actively existent entities symbolically during Ásatrú rituals and religious thought, when one hails to Odin or Frigga one does not simply hail to the name Frigga or Odin, but to a high ideal and a symbol of power, aspiration and inspiration.
- The Gods and Goddesses are hyper-real, they are symbols or archetypes, they are more than verifiable physical beings.
Know that as the descendants of the Gods and Goddesses their physical existence is seen in ourselves, when you look at the finest Germanic Northern Europeans you are looking at the descendents of the Gods and Goddesses themselves.
- We Nordic & Germanic Europeans are all the sons and daughters of Heimdallr.
- Many Asatro folk idolize specific Gods and Goddesses and base their spiritual daily practice purely on a select few, often including Wights or Vættir in addition to the Æsir and Vanir.
- Intelligent and beautiful Germanic women & mothers, often idolize the archetypes of Freya and Frigga or Idunna.
- Intelligent and strong Germanic males, often revolve their lives around the recognition of the archetype of Thor. Wise and knowledgeable Germanic males, archetypes of Odin, brave, honourable males, with hearts flowing for aspirations of justice, are in turn archetypes of Tyr.
- The Gods and Godesses are real and living within the best of our folk, for we are their sons and daughters and through aspiring through their inspirational archetypes literally become worthy of calling ourselves the sons and daughters of the Æsir.
- When you see your fellow Germanic/Nordic Europeans in the streets, in your neighbourhood or at work, you should understand that they are all the sons of daughters of Heimdallr if only they knew, all Europeans must remember their sacred identity, you can help in this process to awaken our folk.
It is literally written that we Germanic & Nordic Europeans are sacred and descended from holy Germanic racial blood, each and every European woman, man and child deserves to be reminded of this rightful heritage..
- Belief in the Æsir and Vanir as physically existent entities does not therefore cause philosophical or scientific problems to Ásatrú, as the existence and non-existence of the dieties in other religions has throughout religious debate over the centuries.
All adherents of an Ásatrú outlook on life 'believe' in the Æsir and Vanir, but that belief sometimes manifests itself interchangeably as belief in what the Æsir and Vanir represent rather than belief in the Æsir and Vanir as physical, empirically verifiable entities and sometimes it is simply to be found as belief in yourself, as a son or daughter of Heimdallr and thus of the Æsir.
That is the most important part of Ásatrú or Asatro.
Many Ásatrúar consider the Æsir and Vanir to be glorious archetypes whilst others consider them to be actually existent beings, not directly as human forms always, but often represented in the ideal forms of the world around us and in the ideal vision of our Germanic womankind and mankind.
The Gods and Goddesses of our ancestors undeniably still permeate throughout all of our remaining natural culture.
- This can be seen mot visibly in our words, names, place names and the days of the week. This example you are familiar with most notably and obviously includes:
- Tuesday (Tyr's day), Wednesday (Wotan's day),Thursday (Thor's day), Friday (High Goddess Frigga's day), Sunday (Sunna's day).
- What remains of our ancestral traditions, conduct, artwork, ancient oral lore, folklore literature and traditionally tribal or folk centric democratic local government are all informed and imbued with the same Goddesses and Gods that form what is now called Asatro and what our ancestral folk knew as their daily spiritual identification with the world around them (philosophy) and with each other (ethics).
The inherent brilliance of Asatro as a way of life
- Our Gods and Goddesses were so important to our ancestors, that the veryrotations of the Earth (personified through the one of the oldest Goddesses of all: Nerthus the Vanir mother Goddess of the Earth) are dedicated in their names to our Gods and Goddesses, that shows you the sheer importance and power intrinsic to Asatro and how it guided our ancestors on an everyday level in everything they did, during the tens of thousands of years of our evolution that saw the Northern Germanic people excell racially, inner-culturally, spiritually, intellectually, artistically and linguistically.
- Asatro uses rituals to consolidate, reinforce and celebrate our faith in our ancestors, ourselves, our Æsir Goddesses and Gods, the Vanir Goddesses and Gods, and the Alfar, Vættir and all other Wights on a regular seasonal basis.
- Asatro rituals are exchanges of inspiration and oaths and honourings between ourselves and our Gods and Goddesses, these rituals are conducted with numerous variations upon Yule, Eostre, both solstices and equinoxes and numerous seasonal calendar events, each with their own regional and national variations, combined there are dozens of rituals over the course of the year.
- All of the truly great philosophers and leaders of our world were European polytheists: from Asatro to Hellenism, both in the ancient and the modern Europe from Herman and Boudicca to Leonidas, this fact demonstrates that if we want brilliance for not only ourselves but also for the entirety of our Nordic & Germanic civilizations, we must return to the racially virtuous, and spiritually sophisticated ways of our ancestors in our outlook on life, that we too should become at one with our natural being through our ancestral spirituality that has the potential to empower us to enormous feats and a colossal era of perfectionism.
Ásatrú improves the very way you percieve life, it informs your daily life with ruthless dedication, strength, wisdom, elegance and willpower and an appreciation of the future through the observance and celebration of our ancient and pure Germanic, ancestral past that informs our present and future evolution on every level, from seeking new hyper-technology to understanding the universe and celebrating ourselves, our beings and the natural processes and elements that encompass and embrace us as pure Germanic beings, as sons and daughters of the Æsir.
Seeking to rebuild our folk under an Ásatrú/Asatro guided civilization, from the wreckage of this post-Christian civilization, is the most natural and effective route for uplifiting and safegaurding the existence of our ethnic folk, directing and most importantly: inspiring ourselves onto a path of perfection; racially, spiritually, economically, militarily, logistically, artistically, architecturally environmentally and intellectually.